Smokin' Mac & Cheese
Courtesy of: Southern Living
1 lb. box uncooked macaroni pasta
2 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. flour
1 c. milk
12 oz. can evaporated milk
2 c. shredded smoked (or regular) Gouda cheese
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground red pepper, divided
1/2 package cooked bacon, crumbled
2 c. cornflakes, crushed
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350º.
2. Cook macaroni as directed on package. Transfer to large bowl.
3. Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in medium saucepan over medium heat.
4. Gradually whisk in flour until smooth; cook, whisking constantly for one minute.
5. Gradually whisk in milk and evaporated milk; cook, whisking constantly 3-6 minutes or until thickened.
6. Whisk in Gouda, cream cheese, salt, and 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper until smooth.
7. Remove from heat and stir in bacon.
8. Combine pasta and Gouda cheese mixture and pour into a lightly greased 13x9 inch baking dish.
9. Stir together 2 c. crushed cereal, 2 Tbsp. melted butter and remaining 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper. Sprinkle over pasta.
10. Bake at 350º for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Let stand 5 mins before serving.
*I use low-fat/low-calorie options whenever possible, i.e. 1% milk, 1/3 fat cream cheese, low sodium bacon, etc.