Friday, May 21, 2010

Moving Madness

Yesterday was my day to indulge. I slept in late, I played on the internet almost all day, I bought a HUGE bar of chocolate at the commissary, & I drank a cup of coffee at 545 pm with the new creamer that I picked up. Trust me, I deserved this day. The movers were here bright & early Monday morning to pack up all of our stuff. There were only two of them. And they were women. Im not sexist, but moving is man's work in my opinion, and here's why I think that: These women were rude, slow & never shut up. They expected us to buy them lunch & even asked us point blank to do so, and then took all the leftovers home with them. One lady talked more than she packed & in 9 hours, only finished packing one room. One room! By 5pm I was ready to bang my head against the wall. Those two left around that time & two more came and finished most of the packing, stopping at 830pm. J & I were exhausted! We had to watch them pack everything to make sure that it was done correctly & that they didnt pack anything they shouldnt.

Tuesday morning, the real movers showed up and got to work. There were 5 men who worked their behinds off, & hardly talked at all. They finished the packing & moved all of our stuff into huge crates. They filled 6 crates and a large covered trailer which will fill another 1-2 crates. They finished up around 530 or so. We spent the entire day on our feet, back & forth, watching them wrap & move everything. Another exhausting day. Despite watching them pack everything, we discovered that night as we went to hook up our one remaining TV that they had packed the Comcast remote, meaning we were stuck with only one channel- the LIFETIME channel! Oops. Needless to say, we didnt watch TV that night.

Wednesday was another early day. The storage movers were scheduled to show at 8am. They finally arrived at 1pm. My morning was essentially wasted waiting on them to arrive. We didnt have too much stuff to store, so I didnt think it would take long. Wrong. They finished up around 530. I sat out in the garage & watched them pack all afternoon. Overall, we had around 10000 lbs of stuff! You really dont know how much you have until you move.

Those 3 days were long & tiring, so yesterday was my indulgent day & it was wonderful! =)

J & I are both going to spend the next 1.5 weeks studying for the German drivers license test & learning the language. We are without furniture and are essentially camping in our house. The only things I miss, so far, are a comfy place to sit & my bed. My hip is actually bruised from sleeping on the air mattress. Ugh. Only one more week of this, then off to family, friends, & hotels. Despite some discomfort, we are happy and still looking forward to our big adventure in Europe. These next few weeks are all a part of the adventure & we will make the most of them! =)

4 comments:

Preppy Girl Meets World said...

Do you not have a driver's license? Why do you need to study for the German one? I thought your American one gets honored there?

Uncork and Unwined said...

I do have a DL here. To obtain a German DL, you must have an American DL, take the German DL test, and sit through a course. If we were just visiting, an international DL from AAA would work (we did that on our european vacation a few yrs ago), but if youre a resident, you have to take the German DL test and get their license on top of your American license. I currently do not have a car though. We sold mine here & shipped Js car. I am going to buy one once we get there. Im thinking a BMW or Mercedes of course!

Roller Coaster said...

Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog. I love the name of your blog, especially because I LOVE wine! We lived in Japan for 3 years, and it was the most amazing experience. Don't worry too much about the driving test. I didn't study at all for the Japanese one, although the hardest part was learning to drive on the wrong side of the road (which was also tough to UN learn when we moved back home). We would love to go to Europe at some point in my husband's career. I'm a new follower, and i can't wait to read about your adventures in Germany!

Uncork and Unwined said...

Thank you so much! Im so happy to have you as a follower! Im glad that I stumbled onto your blog. I love the military blogroll! Thats such a great idea! We are really looking forward to living in Germany & having as many European adventures as we can. Ill be sure to post about them & all of the wonderful wines that I know we will drink! =)