Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Trip to the Nation's Capital...DC...Part 1



My first train ride!
I swear I was like a little kid when I found out that we were going to get to ride the train from Baltimore to D.C. You see, I am from the South and we dont have a train system, or public transportation for that matter. Everyone drives their own vehicle. Sure, in Little Rock we have a public bus system, but Ive never ridden on it, nor do I know anyone who has. We also have a taxi service, but you'd be hard pressed to find one anywhere other than the airport. Public transportation just isnt very common there. So I was very excited to ride the train to DC.

We took the MARC train which you can catch at the BWI airport. We parked for $9/all day there at the station. Tickets were $6 each way, which we thought was amazing considering Amtrak tickets were at least 3x that! The ride to D.C. took about 25 minutes and ended at Union Station. From there we set out for the Library of Congress. Im a bit of a history nerd, as is J, so this was a must see for us. The building is absolutely gorgeous! Inside youll find original documents from our nations history- Thomas Paine's Common Sense, parts of the Bill of Rights, the Declaration, and the Constitution, and maps from hundreds of years ago. It was pretty awe-inspiring.

We were going to tour the Capital, but to do so, you have to take an official tour. We really just wanted to do things on our own time that day, so we satisfied ourselves with photos of the outside and moved on. (Ive been before, so it wasnt a huge disappointment)



So onward we went. I swear if we added it all up, we walked many, many miles that day. In flipflops. And 90 degree weather. As we headed towards the Washington "Mall" where most of the monuments are, we walked pasted the Smithsonian Castle. I want to live in a castle one day. Is that an unrealistic goal? I didnt think so! ;)



Up next was the Washington Monument. This monument is so simple, so beautiful, and has an interesting history.



Up next...DC....Part 2!
Happy Thursday everyone!

1 comment:

Jen said...

hello! I am a fellow AF wife and nurse, found your blog from another military wife. Your adventures look like a blast! I also love wine and coffee and look forward to reading your blog.