Friday, June 24, 2011

Pregnancy Brain

Im 28 weeks pregnant and throughout this entire experience, I havent really felt the "brain fog" or "pregnancy brain" that most pregnant women talk about. Sure, Ive forgotten a few items at the grocery store or let a birthday slip my mind. Honestly though, those things happened before I got pregnant. I seriously have the worst memory. The worst, and it drives me crazy! I so wish I could be one of those people who remembers everything, but Im not, so out of necessity and, let's be honest, because I think it's fun, I am a list maker.

I have a grocery list, a daily to do list, a necessities list, a housework list, a reminder list and even a list for my lists. Sounds crazy, I know, but if I dont write things down, Im probably going to forget them. Of course I can remember the big stuff, the super important things all by myself, but for everything else, I need a list.

Since Im always forgetful, I thought I would breeze right through this pregnancy without suffering any effects from "pregnancy brain." That was until this week. It all started Sunday....

Pregnancy Brain Example #1:

We were playing Scattergories at my parents house. Has anyone played that? Super funny game. Anyway, the letter was "A" and the question was "Ways to get from here to there." I completely blanked out and could not think of a good answer. Finally, I came up with something just before the buzzer. When it was time to reveal the answers, my entire family had put "airplane." Unfortunately, that obvious answer never occurred to me and I put "animal". Seriously. Animal. I was thinking you could ride a horse, camel or even a freaking elephant to get from one place to another. Why had airplane never occurred to me?! What the heck did I fly over the Atlantic Ocean in? And for goodness sakes, my husband is a PILOT! Duh. Lot's of laughter and pink cheeks followed, but at least they let me count my answer.

Pregnancy Brain Example #2:

Again with the Scattergories. Maybe I shouldnt be playing this game while Im pregnant... Anyway, the letter was "T" and the question was "A crime or offense." I thought of burglary and stealing, but since those didnt start with "T", I went with this: "Taking something from someone else." When we revealed our answers my husband burst out laughing and said, "Do you mean theft?" Duh. Forehead slap. Of course I meant theft, though that word never came to my mind. Again, they let me count it. At this point, I think they all just felt sorry for me.

Pregnancy Brain Example #3:

J & I went shopping on Monday for some much needed clothes and shoes. My feet have grown just enough that I cant wear my tennis shoes anymore. As I was trying on various shoes, I would send J back for a different size/shoe. When I finally found the shoe that I loved, I had the right one on and went to put the left one on, but discovered that it wasnt in the box. I yelled to J that Id found the shoe I wanted, but was so disappointed to discover that it's mate wasnt in the box. He peeked around the aisle, laughing and said, "Honey, of course it's not in the box. You gave it to me to find a larger size before you even tried it on." He had the shoe's mate, the left one, in his hand. Oops. Id forgotten that. At least I found the shoes I wanted...

Pregnancy Brain Example #4:

This last one isnt about my silliness, but someone else's. I went to Hobby Lobby today to pick up a few things for Baby M's nursery. As I was checking out, the lady behind the counter asked how far along I was. I said, "28 weeks" and she said, "Oh, so four months then?" Holy crap lady. What kind of math did you learn? I corrected her and told her it was seven months. She then told me that she was three months pregnant. I understand that the weeks system of pregnancy can be confusing for non-pregnant people. Heck, it was confusing for me weeks after I found out I was pregnant. But for someone who is pregnant themselves, and twelve weeks at that, not know that 28 weeks is seven months pregnant, well... wow. That was a serious duh moment for that lady. It's good to know Im not the only one who has them.




8 comments:

Mowenackie said...

I love Scattergories! And I like your "T" answer. Same thing - it's just a matter of semantics. :)

Monica B said...

Mine just kept getting worse and worse as my first pregnancy progressed. You have a good excuse. Oh, and for the A answer, I immediately thought of automobile. =)

Becca said...

Yeah...I had to put Scattergories and Scrabble on hold until just about...now (Baby H is 7 months old). The best part about preggo brain is that you get to where you don't even care! :) haha. Your brain is prepping you for survival mode. It's pretty cool, actually because what you will lack in Scattergories skills, you'll make up for in your keep instincts and ability to smell just about anything from a mile away.

Chantal said...

lol at #4! My husband keeps saying "she's 3 months pregnant" when I say "No, I'm 15 weeks!" I'm all about the weeks :P

Anonymous said...

Animal!!! Hahaha! I love that one :)

MooAtU2 said...

I'm like Monica- I thought of automobile automatically too! And I love that game, we play it anytime we have board game night.

Jen said...

Ha ha! It hasn't hit me yet, but it sounds like the best is yet to come

Unknown said...

I would tell you about all the times I've spazzed out and had "baby brain" but for some reason the examples are escaping me... ;-p