Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Burg Nanstein ... and some other stuff too


So the hubby is in OKC for two weeks and has our laptop with him. With all of our travel pictures for the last two months. Which means that while Ive got a post all written and ready about our trip to The Netherlands, I cant post it until he gets back here with those photos. So...
What I do have are photos from a day trip we took a couple weekends ago to a castle that is only 15 minutes away. It's called Burg Nanstein and it's in a town called Landstuhl. Landstuhl is also home to the largest American hospital outside of the USA, which will one day hopefully be my employer.
The view from the castle is absolutely gorgeous! You can see not only the entire town, but many other neighboring towns as well. We could pick out the general area of our house based on the windmills! You also get a fantastic view of the air base, which makes it easy to watch planes taking off and landing. There were several people with binoculars for this very purpose.

There is a restaurant on the grounds that offers lunch, dinner, and drinks with plenty of outdoor tables to enjoy the view. Of course we had to sample the drinks after our tour!

The castle itself is pretty small by my castle standards, but a joy to explore. It's parent and kid friendly and they offer a military discount. It was only 2.20 euro for us to get in. It was built in 1162 and has a colorful history.






J had to duck when walking through most parts, though I could walk without ducking. Im guessing people in the 12th century weren't 6'3".


On to more mundane things....
Happy Tuesday everyone! I hope your week is going well so far. Im staying as busy as I can with the hubs being gone. Our house is finally starting to look like a house. Ive been so busy cleaning, organizing and decorating, that I havent left myself much time for blogging. Now that it's all coming together, I'll have more time to blog. If I can stay off my new iPhone. Hello Words with Friends, Angry Birds and Plants vs. Zombies. Where have you been all my life? ;)

PS...I took my very first Zumba class tonight. Great googlymoogly, it kicked my butt! I love to dance, but I am so not coordinated. You want me to move my hips like what, and my feet like how, all while moving my arms too? Yeah, right. I am going to commit to it though, and continue to go with my bloggy friend Kristen. It has to get easier once I learn the steps, right? Right? Dear Lord, someone tell me I'm right?!

4 comments:

Sara @ Life With the Two said...

Everyone I know that takes a Zumba class loves it. So I'll assume you'll get better and become an addict too.

I'm doing my daughter's six year old portraits at Berg Nanstein. So excited, we've never gone up there, just to the Kurvilla Sickengen (hotel) at the bottom of the hill.

Angela Noelle said...

Haha! I tried a Zumba class once, but I could never even work up a sweat because I spent half the time just standing there trying to figure out what the heck I was supposed to do with myself!

Sounds like a fun day trip :)

Ashley said...

I am dying to try Zumba!! I love your pictures. Germany looks like a great country to be stationed at.

Jen said...

how fun! I love living vicariously through your travel pictures!